A mystery in my own Family involving my Great grandfather who helped organize Iron Workers Local 3#

My Great Grand Father on my mother side Karl passed away when I was very young.in the 1960's
He was living in and old row of apartments similar to the picture you see below in a back alley along Penn Ave in Pittsburgh's Strip District. His apartment no longer exists .
My great Grandmother has passed many years earlier..

Karl ended up living on one of these back alley apartments after spending his life a hard drinker and former Iron Worker.

His drinking started as a way to have courage to work high in the air and would eventually destroy him and he would become a bad alcoholic and no longer able to work. He helped to Organize  Local 3# of the Iron Workers where he was constantly being plied with alcohol during negotiations at the Prestigious Duquesne Club in Downtown Pittsburgh.
unfortunately we do not even have a good picture of him and the Iron Workers where of no use in trying to locate any of his organizing efforts as he supposedly held office with in the union.

Many of the buildings he helped to build where torn down along Penn Ave when the new convention center was built  but one building he helped build Carnegie Institute still stands to this day  along 5th ave in Oakland.

I was just a small child when my mom would get a phone call from my aunt for my dad to come quickly to his apartment   and he would find the Pittsburgh Police there. It appeared as thou he fell down the steps which lead to his 2nd floor apartment and struck his head and bleed to death from his alcoholic ways. Is what the police concluded . But a radio which he got for his birthday and his SSI check was missing from the apartment. Police thought his apartment had been burglarized  after he died.

Did he just fall down the steps or did he encounter a burglar, in the act of ripping him off ?
We will never know as he police at the time attributed the death to alcohol and there was never an autopsy or any other investigation.
I visit my Great Grandparents graves yearly as my one uncle is buried with them and I make sure he gets a flag for his grave since he served in WWII  . No one in the family likes talking about this tragic death and I do not blame them and this will just go down as a mystery just one of thousands around Western Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment