One of those Strange Tragic Coincidences in life it has happened to me

Back in December of 1992 I feel 12 feet  from an attic and crushed my heal in a horrific way when a pair of  portable steps gave way while working at a customers home.

What happened a pair of pull down steps gave way  at the joint where they connected to the attic now this unlike modern pull down folding stairs was a regular pair of steps attached on one end and chains on other with weights which allowed it to be pulled up and down

I was permanently crippled at the age of 33 with a permanent limp to make matters worse the home owners insurance company never paid one cent  to me for what I went thru . My working career ruined I had to completely change what work I did and what jobs I took on.

So here I am trapped in a room my helper 12 ft above can do nothing the door opens into the room blocked by the collapsed steps and chains laying on me . My friend wife Bev heard the noise and called 911 when I told here what happened she could not get door open in the mean time one of the nicest guys you would ever meet Known as Pete the painter had come running up the massive staircase and started  slowly to help me move the staircase and debris and he was able to wiggled in as he was short and skinny and get the door open he had Bev run and get ice and packed my foot in it .
 We wait and wait 20 plus minutes a medic unit shows up  911 screwed the call up  seems with 911 in Allegheny County  you either get excellent service or total complete screw ups for operators the horror storys I can tell.

Once medics realize I did not fall down steps it was a steps collapse they called for extra units and carefully and skillfully got me down out of there and to the hospital they medics where great they told me how lucky I was to even be alive  and how many they had found dead or later died from similar accidents .

Well it would be many painful days and eventually operation plates and screws and a life time of pain  and almost 3 years till I was able to put a full days work in. When I went into surgery they where not sure they could save my foot but thru grace of god and skilled surgeons hands they where. Dr Gruen  and UPMC did a fantastic job.   Come to find out I had NASCAR drivers to thank for the surgery he performed because the type of break I had they see a lot with drivers when they would break a heal  driving into wall and foot is on brake pedal.

So I get my life and business back on track and  almost 10 years to day I had my accident I would later find out from a co worker that Pete had tragically died when he fell down a set of steps and struck his head.  The best guy you ever wanted to meet on the job who saved my life when steps almost took my life  had his taken by a pair of steps in his own house.
Ironic absolutely and  absolutely spooky.

I know Pete is in a better place and hope to join him some day and the drinks will be on me Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment