The Forgotten Village of Power WV now a Ghost Town

 When I was a kid in 1960s on my dads day off from the mill usually a Sunday after church our family would pile in the family van and we would go for long rides all around Pa. Ohio and WV. 

How I wish I could have afforded a movie camera and recorded those trips because so much has changed and disappeared. 

One of my favorite routes is WV 2 which I still travel quite often from Chester to Wheeling 

But as I wind down thru all the little towns I pass a big area of open ground all fenced in  I could remember as a kid some kind of big plant was once there along with homes but now everything is gone just a small cemetery sits along the road. That was till this summer of 2020 they have now raised a state marker and little park with veterans monument to the Village of Power .

An appropriate name for an Windsor Power  Electrical Generation  Plant built in 1917 and powered by coal from Nearby Windsor coal Mine  which provided power via high tension overhead wires which went over the Ohio river  from Power WV to Canton Ohio 



Hard to believe almost a 100 homes and structures once sat along the road here now totally gone since mid 70s

https://wtov9.com/news/local/have-you-heard-of-this-long-lost-west-virginia-village

 Which sat in Brooke county just below beech Bottom WV 

Its good to see Beech Bottom  locals remember all those who once lived in the town .




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment